Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Citizenship

Our book defines citizenship as active community participation as a result of a sense of a responsibility to the communities in which people live.

I believe I show citizenship in the fraternity/sorority community through my role on IFC, in my chapter and
by displaying social excellence  :)  within the community and outside it.  I am active member of my community because I believe in the life changing capability of our fraternities and sororities.  Most people would consider community service and philanthropy part of citizenship, however, many times I don't do those things out of a sense of responsibility, but rather as a requirement or while merely going through the motions.

Our chapter would argue that by attending philanthropies and holding social events they are demonstrating citizenship within our community.  However, many social events revolve around alcohol and don't involve real conversations, or "deep" conversations.  Our chapter is devoted to its own ideals, but, as a whole, isn't concerned about the entire chapter.

The fraternity and sorority community does a pretty good job of displaying citizenship.  It is full of community leaders and members involved in many different organizations and groups.  We are socially excellent throughout the community, but can always do a better job improving our image and fighting, not perpetuating, the stereotypes surrounding the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment