Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Oathmeal

Oath.

I took one. It's probably very similar to yours.  I break mine.  I strive to work towards not breaking it.  I didn't really understand what it meant when I first took it.  I still don't entirely understand what it means.  That's a life long learning thing.  It defines me.  It is something that defines some of my values.  Not all of them.  It is something that bonds my fraternity brothers together.  It is something I am supposed to hold them accountable to.  It is something I don't always hold them accountable to.  It is something they are supposed to hold me accountable to.  It is something they don't always hold me accountable to.  It is a lifelong promise.  It is a promise that is oft not taken seriously enough.  It is something that differentiates me from many of my peers.  It is something that impacts my life daily.  It is something that has changed the way I think, act and be.

3 comments:

  1. Short, sweet, and to the point. I actually reread it twice because I liked what you had to say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your honesty. good for you for being so realistic! for lack of a less cheesy, overused phrase, it's the thought that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I break mine too. I wish we could come up with some sort of action plan to figure out how to stop breaking them. That and to get everyone motivated to live by their values more often, you know?

    ReplyDelete